“Socialism” was Merriam-Webster’s most looked-up word of 2015. What does socialism mean to Socialist Alternative? The following readings present a thorough introduction to the ideas of Marxism, socialism, and struggle. If you like our ideas and share our analysis, join us!
PART ONE: Socialist Politics in the U.S. Today
What We Mean by “Socialism”
- The Case for Socialism, Ty Moore
- Bernie Sanders’ Socialism and Ours – Interview with Kshama Sawant, Kailyn Nicholson
- How Could Socialism Work?, Hannah Sell
U.S. Politics, Trump, and the Democrats
- Kshama Sawant’s Socialist Response to Trump’s State of the Union
- Can the Democratic Party Be Reclaimed?, Tom Crean and Tony Wilsdon
- Bernie Proved a New Party is Possible, Ty Moore and Tony Wilsdon
How Socialists Won in Seattle
The Marxist Approach to Fighting Racism, Sexism, and Oppression
Changing the World: The Role of a Revolutionary Party
- Changing the World: The Role of a Revolutionary Party, Judy Beishon
PART TWO: Introducing Marxism
Intro to Marxist Economics
- Capitalism’s Big Con: Understanding Marxist Economics, Peter Watson
Historical Materialism – The Marxist View of How Society and Ideas Change
How to Fight the Right
- The Battle of Wisconsin – History and Lessons from the Working-Class Revolt of 2011, George Martin Fell Brown
- How Socialists and the Poll Tax Movement Drove Thatcher Out of Office, Steve Score
Russia, Stalin and the Bureaucratic Counter-Revolution
- What About Russia?, Pete Dickenson
- Russia: How the Bureaucracy Seized Power, by George Collins
Reform and Revolution: The Marxist Theory of the State
- Welfare and Warfare: How the State Works, Ken Smith and William Marshall
- Chile 1973: Heroism was not Enough, Tony Saunois
STAY UP TO DATE!
We live in a constantly changing world. Read new articles posted daily at www.socialistalternative.org. Get Socialist Alternative newspaper delivered to your door for just $2 a month: www.socialistalternative.org/subscribe.
EVEN MORE RESOURCES
Pamphlets: Our pamphlets cover a range of topics, from the Soviet Union to the environment to Black Lives Matter. Read more at https://www.socialistalternative.org/publications/.
International Socialist Alternative: The International Socialist Alternative website has a wealth of articles from the over 45 countries in which our sister parties organize: https://internationalsocialist.net/en/